CHARLES H. WEISS
Creative, versatile and results oriented award winning photography editor with many years experience in the news industry covering the Baltimore and Washington metro areas. Especially skilled at multi-tasking while working under intense deadline pressures while solving complex visual and logistical problems. Excellent time management and communication skills. Ability to see the big picture while remaining detail oriented. Gifted at marrying the needs of the written word with the appropriate images to create winning story presentations.
- Served as the point person for the The Baltimore Sun photo department’s transition from a print medium to an online publication, insuring the timely production and delivery of quality video and photos for the website.
- Coordinated the photography coverage of high value news events such as President-elect Barack Obama’s visit to Baltimore and his inauguration in Washington, the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks, the tragic injury and ultimate demise of Preakness racehorse Barbaro, the D.C. area sniper and the impeachment of President Bill Clinton.
Adjunct professor 2011 - 2012
- Hired as an adjunct professor to teach Photojournalism.
Photo Editor 2010 - 2011
An online news site covering national and international news events.
- Hired in May 2010 as a volunteer photo editor.
- Worked remotely with layout and content editors to produce a visually exciting news page for the website.
- Wrote the advanced photo guide for the photo and layout editors.
Deputy Director of Photography 2000 - 2009
The Baltimore Sun
A media group serving the state of Maryland with a weekly readership of over one million for print and online.
- Hired as the Photo Assignment Editor in April 2000 and promoted to Deputy Director of Photography in October 2007.
- Managed a staff of 17 photographers plus various local and out of town freelancers.
- Served as the Page One, Metro section and assignment editor.
- Improved, coordinated and scheduled 100 plus photo requests per week.
- Spearheaded the transition from a newsprint photo department to a digital online entity.
- Knowledgeable in Adobe Photoshop CS, PC, MacIntosh OS X, Microsoft Office, digital photography, B/W and color darkroom.
Deputy Director of Photography
The Washington Times 1998 - 2000
A newspaper with a daily circulation of 100,000 covering The White House, Congress and the Washington, D.C. metro area.
- Hired as the Photo Assignment Editor in January 1998 and promoted to Deputy Director of Photography in June 1999
- Managed a staff of 12 photographers and various freelancers.
Assistant Director of Photography 1989 – 1998
Patuxent Publishing Company
An award-winning chain of 13 weekly community newspapers with a combined circulation of over 250,000 that covered the counties surrounding the Baltimore metro area.
- Hired as a staff photographer in 1979 and promoted to Assistant Director of Photography in 1989.
B.A. Political Science - Loyola College of Maryland
- Dean’s List in senior year
Video Production – Field and Studio - Catonsville Community College
B Course diploma – Baltimore Polytechnic Institute
First Place – 2006 - Maryland Delaware DC Editorial Contest - News Page Design
First Place – 1999 – White House News Photographers – staff coverage of Clinton impeachment
First place – 1990 – Sigma Delta Chi Contest – Picture Series
First place – 1989 – Maryland State Teachers Assoc. – Picture Series
*Best in Show – 1988 – Maryland Delaware DC Editorial Contest - Feature Picture
*Best in Show – 1986 - Maryland Delaware DC Editorial Contest - Sports Picture
** A total of 20 Maryland Delaware DC Editorial Contest awards were won from 1979 to 1989
First Place – 1985 - Maryland State Teachers Assoc. – Picture Series
Merit Award – 1983 - The Advertising Association of Baltimore – Best of Baltimore Awards
First Place – 1980 – Suburban Newspaper Assoc. - Spot News Photo